Useful Information, articles and links
Psychotherapists, counsellors, coaches, psychologists like plumbers, engineers, sportsmen all have our areas of specialist expertise use a wide range of methods or ‘models’.
Therefore it may be productive for you to 'interview' your potential therapists.
Think of what you need to know before you make contact.
Maybe your questions can be answered on the phone or in an initial session before you decide to continue.
Find a therapist who -
- you feel very comfortable with and and believe you could develop trust
- has a history of appropriate professional training
- is accredited – so there is supervision and accountability
- demonstrates understanding when you call
- grasps his/her professional responsibility to work actively
- challenges and stretches your understanding - it's not meant to be emotionally comfortable every moment, but it must be safe